Dental implants are, quite simply, the replacement of a lost tooth. However, due to their permanent nature, they allow you to enjoy a full set of teeth in the most natural way possible. The dentists at Perth’s Midland Dental Hub are highly experienced in fitting dental implants and tooth replacements and would be happy to offer you advice on the processes involved.
What are dental implants?
Using dental implants for tooth replacement consists of two parts, the dental implant itself, followed by the replacement tooth on top. First, the dental implants are surgically fixed into the mouth, below the gums and into the jawbone. This frame-like structure then acts as a screw, allowing replacement teeth to be attached to it.
- Once the implant becomes more established in the mouth, the bone continues to grow around it, making the implant stronger. This process is called osseo integration.
- Secondly, the tooth replacement process involves a crown or artificial tooth, which is then attached to the dental implant, replacing the lost tooth
When would I need a dental implant?
Unfortunately, as much as we try and protect our teeth, sometimes, life gets in the way. Some common causes of lost teeth can include:
- Sports, injury or accidents
- Irregular tooth formation
- Tooth decay or bacterial infection
- Weak roots
- Lifestyle factors such as inadequate oral health, smoking and often through the inevitable ageing process.
For many people, dental implants and tooth replacement offer a solution to these problems.
However, it is important to note that although a patient may need a tooth replaced, not everyone is able to have dental implants fitted. Most people with a sufficiently developed jawbone, full healing capabilities and who a free of gum disease are eligible for the procedure. If you are unsure of your eligibility, it is worth consulting a dentist.
Are dental implants expensive?
Although dental implants and subsequent tooth replacement do offer a lot of benefits, they tend to be quite expensive. With costs of thousands of dollars, it is important to understand the expenses upfront, a conversation which can be easily had with your dental practitioner.
If you are eligible for private health insurance, it’s also suggested that you consider how much of the cost can be claimed back through your insurance provider.
At Midland Dental Hub, we offer interest free payment plans to help make this procedure more affordable for our patients.
Dental Implant Procedure
Once your dentist is assured your mouth structure and oral health give the dental implant the best chance at holding firm, the procedure is loosely as follows:
- Where necessary, offending teeth are extracted
- A metal tooth root is inserted into your jawbone by the dentist (you will be under local anaesthetic for this part don’t worry. You can also be given gas to help relax you if you’re nervous about the procedure)
- Osseo integration – this is the process of your new root fusing with the jawbone. This process can take anywhere between 4-6 months. During this time you’ll either have a gap in this space or a denture.
- An abutment is placed on the root which allows a custom made porcelain crown to be fitted.
- The recovery process varies for each individual and while their may be some discomfort but often this minimal for many patients.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants look and feel just like real teeth, while natural teeth can’t be exactly replicated, you can still eat, drink, talk, and smile with full confidence.
- They look completely natural
- They’re strong and durable due to the Osseo integration
- There’s no need to remove the implant unlike dentures
- Renewed confidence in your smile
Why Choose Midland Dental Hub
There are a lot of benefits to getting dental implants, but it is still an important decision that needs careful consideration. If you are interested in the finer details of the process or want to further understand if the procedure is right for you, consider getting in contact with Perth’s Midland Dental Hub.
Our family dental practice is home to highly skilled and experienced dentists, who are committed to helping you through every step of the dental implant process or any other cosmetic or general dental procedures.