Extraction Post Operative Care Instructions
The day of extraction
- Keep the mouth pack in place over the extraction site for 20 minutes, biting down with firm pressure
- If bleeding occurs after this time, change the mouth pack and apply firm pressure for a further 20 minutes
- Sucking or excessive spitting will prolong bleeding
- Keep your head elevated and avoid vigorous exercise for at least 24 hours
- Do not rinse on the day of extraction
- No smoking or alcohol for 7 days
The second day and thereafter
- Commence your usual oral hygiene as soon as possible
- Rinse the mouth for 3-4 days with warm salt water (add one teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water)
- You may experience bruising, swelling, prolonged bleeding and infection.
- If you are experiencing an escalation of pain 1-2 days after the extraction this may be occuring due to a dry socket.
- Water coming through one nostril.
Patients on blood thinners
- You will require an adult carer to monitor you for 24 hours post extraction.
- We will call you on the next business day to check how you are recovering.
- If you are unable to control the bleeding, you may need to attend hospital.
- Ring 000 if you become concerned.